Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Diving the Blue Hole: Un-Belize-able!

130ft under the sea! This at the inside of the Blue Hole on the southern end.  We are on our way to check out the underwater stalactites 

More of us heading towards the stalactite wall.  At this point I was feeling a little of the nitrogen narcosis from being so deep! :)

That's me in the yellow flippers, yeah that's right I'm soooo fashionable

Bull shark in the distance! Since it was so deep the visibility was poor so you literally could not see the shark until it was RIGHT THERE! And yes, that's a BULL SHARK

Yup, he got closer! Good thing the dive master clanked his tank and scared the shark away.  I was hiding behind the dive master.  Made for an awkward conversation on the boat when the DM was like "Yeah I KNOW you were using me as a shield" haha, my bad!


I love fishes 'cause they're so delicious! Juuuust kidding, I didn't eat any of them!

Half Moon Caye by the Blue Hole.  This is also a World Heritage site.  We stopped by here for lunch, it was absolutely amazing!

Me on the boat leaving Half Moon Caye.  


I got to ride shotgun in this small commercial flight from Belize City to San Pedro, or "La Isla Bonita".  It was a pretty sweet ride! Unfortunately it was on autopilot so I didn't get go drive :D


Here's a picture of the team that I'm working with in Belize City.  This is us at the Caye Caulker lobster fest along with Fran (who owned a stand at the lobster fest and made the BEST grilled lobsters).  They were totally going to enter me in the Miss Lobster Fest pageant but unfortunately we missed it by a weekend!  Apparently a little 12 year old girl won, I TOTALLY would've been able to beat her!
From left to right: Fran's helper, Ryder (team member from DC), Cameron (team member from DC), me (duh), Fran (seated because she was tired from grilling lobsters all day), Anand (team member from NY) 

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    The Blue Hole is a feature attraction of diving in Belize, specially for divers with an appreciation of geographical phenomena and one aspect of the great blue hole is that the dive is over almost before it starts. Thanks a lot!

    Belize Diving

    ReplyDelete