Sunday, January 31, 2010

Johannesburg, South Africa: Initial Thoughts

So I've been in Johannesburg for 4 days now and I thought I would write about my first impressions for my one reader, my mom, oh wait she can't read English.... :-P  First of all, it's definitely not as dangerous as people say it is.  There are definitely sketchy areas but also some really nice areas.  I am living in the dorms in one of the nicer areas (Parktown) , although it does border the most sketchy area in Jo'burg (Hillbrow).  The campus is a gated campus with a guard at the front so no need to be too concerned about muggings and what not.  There are nine of us exchange students here which makes for a crazy good time every night. The first day, and I guess every night since, I've been in town we went to a dance club around here which was awesome (my liver has been very angry with me)! I would say Jo'burg clubs and the city remind me alot of California, including all your modern conveniences with the addition of some very attractive people (male and female).  I am pleased to say that even the guys in the group love going dancing :) It is very refreshing that the clubs here have such diversity of people, with a healthy mix of white, black, and other, which is another difference between here and Cali.  Although I must admit the whole "western" culture is taking some getting used to.  People have said that South Africa is "Africa Lite" which seems to be very true to me.  I do miss the simple life in Ghana and how down to earth everyone was there, even all the travelers I met.  Anyway, pictures of the apartment and people to come! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment